Tire Requirements & Guidelines
These Tire Requirements are inplace for the safety of the driver and all others involved, there are two main sections please review all information:
SECTION 1: Which type & age of tires are allowed for each run group of the drivers and vehicle.
SECTION 2: Specific driver/car and run group tire specifications.
A) The Drivers Edge does NOT allow you to use on track any tires over 5 years old. *How to determine the age of a tire? https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/how-do-i-determine-the-age-of-my-tires
B) The Drivers Edge does NOT allow you to run any tires with the following Tire Speed Ratings, for our events: L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T and U.
*How to read and tire speed ratings: https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/how-do-i-check-a-tire-s-speed-rating
C) How to determine treadwear rating of my tires: https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/what-are-the-uniform-tire-quality-grade-utqg-standards
D) It is important to note that speed ratings only apply to tires that have not been damaged, altered, under-inflated or overloaded. Additionally, most tire manufacturers maintain that a tire that has been cut or punctured no longer retains the tire manufacturer’s original speed rating, even after being repaired because the tire manufacturer can’t control the quality of the repair.
Todays HPDE driver’s often bring vehicles whose performance is far beyond their current driving ability. NON-DOT approved (race tires) limit a student’s ability to learn about car control and mask the students mistakes to the point of being dangerous. Student without proper training who run race tires (less than 100 treadwear) are at disadvantage, because the race tries mask many mistakes, and create a safety hazard to lower level untrained drivers, their instructors and others on the track.
Because of this the Drivers Edge has adopted the following resolution:
- A) Drivers in our Green/Blue or Purple Run Groups: (level 1 novice or little experience with full time instructed) tire rules:
- Vehicle must have DOT Approved Street Tires with V, W, Y or Z speed rating and a tread wear rating number of 120 and higher.
- B) Drivers in our Blue or Orange Run Groups: (level 2 intermediate instructed) tire rules:
- Vehicle must have DOT Approved Street Tires with V, W, Y or Z speed rating and a tread wear rating number of 100 and higher.
Exception: OEM specified tires for the specific vehicle & model. In other words if your specific vehicle & model has a speed rated tire with tread wear rating less than 100 as OEM (original equipment specification) you are allowed to run them.
- C) Drivers in our Yellow, Red or Pink Run Groups (level 3 & 4 more advanced (part-time solo or full time solo approved) tire rules:
- Vehicle may have DOT approved street or manufacturer specified road race tires with V, W, Y, Z or higher speed ratings, any tread wear rating and must also have OEM wear indicators still showing across the tire section.
Please feel free to call with any questions 903 303-3000.